Cherry On Bag is a delightful bucket bag that brings a smile to your lips, while containing all your essentials; purse, phone, keys and a small knitting project. The bag has a circular bottom and is worked from the bottom up in one piece. The ‘cherry on top’ is the large embroidered cherries, which are added before lining it with fabric. The bag has a drawstring closure, using two ribbons. Then you are good to go, just sling the bag over your shoulder and jump along.
Measurements of the bag
- Bottom diameter: 20 cm [8 inches]
- Height of the bag: 27 cm [10.5 inches]
Gauge: 16 sts * 24 rows in stocking stitch = 10 * 10 cm [4 * 4 inches] using 5.5 mm [US 9] needles (measured after a delicate wash).
Yarn: One strand Peruvian Highland Wool and one strand Tilia from Filcolana held together. (Peruvian 100 % pure new wool, yardage: 100 m/ 50 g // Tilia 70 % Superkid mohair, 30% silk, yardage: 210 m / 25 g).
- Peruvian: 150 g (exact amount needed: approx. 115 g)
- Tilia: 50 g (exact amount needed: approx. 30 g)
- Fabric for lining (ie. a lightweight cotton fabric)
- 2 – 2,5 m of ribbon for the drawstring (You can sew a rouleau ribbon or use a grosgrain, velvet or other type of ribbon)
- Use leftover yarn for the embroidered cherries OR approx. 10 g Peruvian for the berries and approx. 5 g Peruvian for the stalks.
Colours used for the Cherry on Bag shown in the photos:
Tilia: 322 Begonia Pink, Peruvian: 313 Bubblegum, 360 Azaela (for the berries) and 279 Juicy Green (for the stalks).
Suggested needles: 5.5 mm [US 9] circular needles (40 or 60 cm [16 or 24 inches] wire) and 5.0 mm [US 8] for the folded edge.